Roaches get revenge against animal trade

Edward Archbold, 32, “winner” of the pet store contest. Photo / AP

An autopsy has concluded that a Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches during a pet store contest earlier this year.

The report released Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach died as a result of “asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents.”

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, 50 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Why Pet Stores Suck

Most reptiles for sale today are taken from the wild. It’s estimated that over 11 million pet reptiles live in U.S. households, resulting in depletion of the wild population, damaged habitats and suffering of the animals involved.

In Florida, people release unwanted reptiles such as pythons and boa constrictors back into retention ponds or swamps in areas not indigenous to them. This creates a ripple effect in the ecosystem, throwing entire ecosystems out of whack.

Posted in News, Wild and Weird and tagged , , , , .

One Comment

  1. Ye3ah, I am glad that guy kicked off and I hate pet stores….but have you ever had a really bad roach infestation and tried to rid yourself of them without chemicals? If there is a way to do it, I have not found it, especially in low income housing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.