Police arrest Forest Defenders in Tasmania, Solidarity Actions in Melbourne & Bunbury Australia

The Earth First Journal! stands in solidarity with the actions taking place in Tasmania and Australia against the destruction of the wild!


About 20 protesters from the Huon Valley Environment Centre were involved in the demonstration at the Ta Ann office in Davey Street.

One protester tried to force his way into the office before being arrested.

More police arrived and other protesters were arrested for refusing to leave.

Two protesters have also been arrested after staging a demonstration within the roof of Forestry Tasmania’s Hobart headquarters.

The pair scaled the atrium to hang a banner calling for an immediate moratorium on logging of specified high conservation value forests.

After several hours of refusing to budge, the Still Wild Still Threatened demonstrators were removed from the building by police.

Click here for photos of all the actions, from Tasmania to Australia.


Media Release – 25 March 2011

“Today, the non violent stand for Tasmania’s forests spread across the CBD of Hobart.  Protests were held to target the State Government, Forestry Tasmania and Malaysian logging giant Ta Ann,” Huon Valley Environment Centre’s Jenny Weber said.

“Two conservationists have been arrested after climbing in the Forestry Tasmania headquarters, holding a banner calling for a moratorium now. Four conservationists were arrested after trying to enter the Ta Ann head office in Hobart.  And a strong show of support at the forest vigil at the Executive Building, with 100 people attending the last day of a successful ten day campaign organised by Huon Valley Environment Centre and Still Wild Still Threatened,” Jenny Weber said

“Our organisations are committed to continuing the campaign to call for the immediate protection of all native forests in Tasmania. Including a moratorium on the globally significant high conservation value forests and a swift transition out of native forest logging in Tasmania,” Jenny Weber said.

“Two conservationists who were arrested today remain in custody waiting to appear in court at 7:30pm tonight,” Jenny Weber said.

Posted in News and tagged , , , , , , .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.