Indigenous Yaqui political prisoner Fidencio Aldama has been locked up since October 27, 2016, serving a 15+ year sentence for a crime he did not commit. Framed for murder, he is being held hostage by the Mexican state for his resistance to a natural gas pipeline the US-based company Sempra Energy is attempting to build through Yaqui territory in so-called Sonora, Mexico.
In solidarity with Fidencio and the struggle of his community Loma de Bácum, the Fidencio Aldama Support Group is calling for a week of letter writing and art creation from June 20 to 26, 2021. We encourage all who are reading this to write or make something during this week, either on your own or by holding an event.
Letter Writing Specifics:
- As Fidencio cannot receive mail in prison, the support group will be collecting all letters and ensuring they are hand-delivered to Fidencio. Please email your letter, or a photo or scan of it to email@example.com. While Fidencio may not be able to reply to all letters, if you would like, please include your contact info either within the letter or separately in the email. As always, be aware that the state will also be reading your letter.
- Fidencio speaks Spanish and Jiaki. However, letters in English are also welcome and encouraged. The support group will translate them into Spanish and will translate any replies into English.
Specifics for Artwork:
- Please use letter or A4-sized paper for your work.
- Scan your work using a resolution of 300 to 600 dpi.
- Save the work as a .tiff or .png file.
- Email your work to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Let us know if it’s okay to share your work, create stickers, posters, t-shirts or more out of it, and how you would like to be credited.
For more information on Fidencio’s case and the anti-pipeline struggle in Loma de Bácum, visit our website at fidencioaldama.org, watch Fidencio’s call for solidarity and see this article summarizing Yaqui resistance to the pipeline and the specifics of Fidencio’s case.
Free Fidencio Aldama! Free All Prisoners!
- The Fidencio Aldama Support Group
Free Fidencio Aldama